- Job Location Chengdu
- Start date Fall - Academic Year 2019-2020
- Contract Length (months) 12-36 (renewable)
- Base Salary RMB 12000-15000 RMB per month
- Number of Teaching Hours Per Week 25
- Accomodation provided No, housing stipend
- Housing Stipend RMB (optional) 3000 RMB
- Flight Reimbursement (RMB) Yes
- Paid Holidays Partially
- Minimum Education Req. Master's degree
- Certification CELTA/TESOL or equivalent certificate preferred
Expected date to start: 1st September 2019. Please leave 2-3 months to prepare the documentation for the work permit in China
We are keen to offer work to teachers who have a desire to develop professionally. We provide an integrated CPD programme designed and delivered by University of Glasgow teacher educators. We also offer opportunities in areas such as curriculum and syllabus development, materials writing, assessment work and teacher education.
Main Duties and responsibilities
- Teaching to a maximum of 25 academic hours. These hours include classroom-based work, small group workshops and 1-1 tutorials on credit-bearing courses. (1 academic hour = 45 minutes)
- Course and lesson planning
- Student assessment and record keeping
- Participation in general and team meetings and CPD sessions.
- Liaison and collaboration with the Head of College, members of the management team and academic staff. This includes working closely with the Glasgow College, UESTC English language programme leads.
Compensation and benefits
- Base pay: 12000RMB-15000RMB per month (pre-tax), depending on skills and experience. (The average wage in the city of Chengdu is 7086 RMB in 2018.)
- Additional package: 3000RMB (pre-tax) paid monthly for subsidized accommodation, air ticket subsidy and transportation allowance.
- Insurance & Medical Care: long-term foreign teachers are entitled to Comprehensive Medical Insurance for Foreigners. (Details will be shown in the contract.)
- Holiday: pro rata holiday entitlement. (Details will be shown in the contract.)
- 1-3 year, fixed term contract, with possibility of renewal
- Paid insurance and Chinese Public holidays
- Regular staff development
- Career development opportunities
Requirements (Qualifications, skills and experience)
- Good undergraduate degree
- Cambridge Celta/Trinity Cert TESOL or equivalent qualification containing observed and assessed teaching practice*
- Ideally 2 years’ experience of teaching and assessing English language at B1 level and above
- Excellent organisational, communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to lead and work well in teams
- Willingness to work flexibly to meet the needs of the programme
- Diploma level TESOL qualification (Cambridge Delta/Trinity Diploma in TESOL or equivalent) *
- Masters in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, ELT or other relevant discipline*
- Previous experience of teaching EAP and/or IELTS.
- IELTS (or other international test) examiner experience
- Experience of teaching in a Higher Education setting
- Experience of teaching and assessing undergraduate/foundation students in an East Asia/Southeast Asia university environment
- Experience of teaching English for STEM (particularly engineering)
- Ability to use ICT effectively including use of a virtual learning environment (e.g. Moodle)
*Please note we will consider alternative qualifications and experience on their merit.
We are keen to offer work to candidates who have a desire to develop professionally. There are opportunities for capacity building activities in areas such as curriculum and syllabus development, materials writing, assessment work and teacher education.
How to apply:
- An updated CV/resume in MS Word or PDF version
- A diploma awarded for highest degree attained
- Teaching qualification certificates (including CELTA/DELTA)
- Two reference letters
Please email to Carrie Yu at email@example.com directly.